Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Damn Research

Well, last night I finished chapter four and sent it off to Chris for editing.

EXCEPT...I was starting on chapter five today, and went back through the notes I made when I originally had the brain-child of my book...and found the name of a man that I had meant to look up, since his was a very interesting story. I was REALLY excited to have that much info to put in chapter five right of the bat, and then I saw the dates for his lifetime. Turns out, he belongs in chapter four. *facepalm*

So now here I am, reading back through my well-organized and completed chapter four, trying to figure out where to put him so that it makes sense chronologically and still sounds good. There is going to be some re-writing involved in this. UGH! One goofy looking dude from the 1300's and my plans for the night are screwed. At least there's plenty of information on him, so my chapter will be a tad bit longer.

In other news, I had another brain child. I seperated the first two chapters by country, and the third was about a very small geographic area. I know Europe is small...but I was thinking that instead of just doing an overview in two chapters I might divide the information into mini-chapters, and give one for each country that played a major role in the history of alchemy. This might take a lot more in-depth research though (and my research is already pretty in-depth and thorough), and might get kind of complicated. All the learned men who studied and/or practiced alchemy traveled around, so then what? Do I put them in the chapter for the country in which they were born or the one in which they died? Or the one in which they lived and did most of their life's work? Do I even want to consider this chapter re-organization considering the extra work I already had to do today?

No matter what I decide about that, I won't be going back and doing that way until the rest of the book is done and off for editing. That way, if I do it and don't like how it sounds or looks I can just revert and it's not like I'll still have a whole bunch of work ahead of me.

Thoughts? Anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment